Reply To: Need to build an interface for XML to SQL Datadata

Reply To: Need to build an interface for XML to SQL Datadata

Home Forums NAACCR XML Standard Need to build an interface for XML to SQL Datadata Reply To: Need to build an interface for XML to SQL Datadata

converting XML to flat file’s for “bulk loading”

This is just a thought, but what if you instead created “workspace” tables in your database that followed the structure of the XML file, i.e., a table for Patient data and another for Tumor data. Each would have primary key columns, and the Tumor tuples would have foreign key relationships to the Patient tuple.

This would make it easier to perform case-specific and batch-update “fixes” to data on the way into the production tables. (This may not be something you do at your registry, but over the years I’ve heard lots of programmers say they need to fix misspellings and other such tweaks.) It would also be easy to write a “reviewer” app to look up cases, filter an incoming data file on any criteria, generate reports, whatever your analysts are clamoring for.

Then you could run a handful of SQL insert/update queries to pull the data from the workspace tables into the production tables, and zap the workspace tables for next time.

I just sort of hate to see you convert XML to flat ASCII files.

I’ll butt out now.

Kathleen

Copyright © 2018 NAACCR, Inc. All Rights Reserved | naaccr-swoosh-only See NAACCR Partners and Sponsors