Reply To: Need to build an interface for XML to SQL Datadata

Reply To: Need to build an interface for XML to SQL Datadata

Home Forums NAACCR XML Standard Need to build an interface for XML to SQL Datadata Reply To: Need to build an interface for XML to SQL Datadata

Hi Jeff,

And no butting out your in too deep now …

You may change your mind after this… 😉

I admit that I prefer to a fault to write my own utilities, especially when existing tools annoy me. So if I were doing this, I would

• read in a Patient record from the XML data file
  • iterate through a list of all possible Patient-level data items *
  • dynamically build an INSERT statement for just the items provided in the XML record
  • and execute it

* You know what items matter to you, so if the XML contains additional/unexpected data items (i.e., ItemDefs) you are not interested in them anyway.

Then do the same for all of the Tumor data associated with this Patient. I don’t think it would take long to write a quick-and-dirty test app to see how the performance compares to using the XML importer built into Oracle. If performance is acceptable, you could make the tool easily configurable to modify the “list of items we care about”, so that future changes to the NAACCR dictionary can be accommodated.

Now remember, if you respond to me you’re just encouraging me to keep making suggestions!

Good luck, and I hope you’ll continue to post about what you’re planning. The subject is very interesting to me.

Kathleen

Copyright © 2018 NAACCR, Inc. All Rights Reserved | naaccr-swoosh-only See NAACCR Partners and Sponsors